Wednesday 28 July 2010

Sisters


I have a wonderful family. A very close family. And our extended family is close too so we often celebrate occasions together like Christmas and birthdays. None of this driving around Christmas day visiting everyone. They all come to me over the course of a few days. I have a pool and the beach. Works out just fine. We have had a few health scares and the like over the years but nothing really tragic. I am glad. Some of you may have estrangements or tragedy may have stuck. I feel for you. I know we are lucky.


I have a sister.  (I have a brother too but let's discuss sisters this time). We are very close LJ and I (let's call her 'LJ'. The 'J' being for John and although that is not her name, it is what we do call her. Long story for another time but have just thrown it in to keep you interested...). We speak nearly every day. She doesn't live near me which is a pity as the babysitting system we could have set up....!!!! Never mind. Not to be.  Focus on what I do have. A sister. A fabulous sister. I admire every ounce of her being. Oh, don't get me wrong we bicker and have disagreements because, heck, we a-r-e sisters after all!! She is taller than me. I know sibling stories are not always the same but we know we are lucky. I feel for Tweenie girl having no sister but it is not something I have any control over. Maybe those of you without sisters have a best-est friend. I hope for Tweenie's sake it will be the same. Will it? Is it to those of you sister-less? 

At the moment when I answer the phone all I can hear is crazy laughter. And I know who it is. It is her. And I know why she is laughing. And I start laughing, hysterically. Why? It all has to do with a funny situation and weak bladder muscles - nearly. We have been laughing about this since March but it recently has had a resurgence. Very funny.  Might be one of those 'had to be there' stories if I retell it.

We had a health scare with LJ. A real do or die situation. I was having morning tea with some Mummies after school/kindy drop off and when I got back to the car there was 13 missed calls on my phone. My heart stood still. I knew something bad had happened. She is still here to tell the tale, mostly unscathed.  Nothing like that to make you appreciate life. I can't imagine my life without her. Or the world without her in it. Luckily the story had a happy ending but we appreciate every second of every day. AND we don't sweat the small stuff. No point. It is just small stuff. And boy, do we appreciate life more.  Do you? Are you focused on getting from A to B or do you take the scenic route? Think about it friends...... It is so easy to forget when the babes are small and there is so much to do. But at least once per day, take a deep breath, and just look around. Look at the wonder about you...... give it a try........
     

Ciao for now

just Martha

2 comments:

  1. How scary! Family is so important, and we really realize that during times like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I have no sisters but I do have a best friend (she has no sisters either) which fills that void. Thanks for your comments on my blog - I'll be wary of gnawing children now!!

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments...

Related Posts with Thumbnails