Tuesday 3 August 2010

3 Legged Monsters

In my house, there are monsters. I am sure. 3 legged monsters. Who wear socks. 3 socks. 3 legged monsters who always wear socks.  Any type of sock - school, sports, dress, black, grey, white.... Although, come to think of it, we could just have monsters who like e-a-t-i-n-g socks. BUT, will only eat one, leaving the other in the pair partner-less. I don't know where they live but I'm sure it is at my house. Somewhere. I have thought long and hard about this. For many years. About 8 years now. I think about it every week. Every week at wash time. Every week when I do the washing. Why? Am I obsessive? No................. it's just that every week I do the washing and I only ever find odd socks. So, I know I don't have 3 legged children, or 1 legged children BUT, I have odd socks. It causes me rather a lot of consternation. For me only. No one else seems to care really. Why? Why does it cause me concern? Because I only have 5 pairs each of school socks for the children - 3 day pairs and 2 sports pairs. So it is quite noticeable when some are missing. Now, part of my logical, organized self is that I would naturally put 2 socks in for washing as I take them off. Not so with the Tweenies. As I tidy during the week I find socks everywhere!! Garage, in cupboards, on top of the fridge.... I think they are trying to psych me out........... Look. In these times of famine, global meltdowns etc it is not a biggie I know, so, I don't complain. I don't rant and rave. I am just perplexed as to the natural order of the world....... or not......

The Tweenies are too old to be lied to. If I say that the Sock Monster will get them, I don't think it will work. Tweenie Girl was obsessed with undoing the drain cover in the bathroom when she was little so I told her there was a 'Bubble Monster' in there who hated being disturbed!! That worked like a charm because when I let out the bath , the bubbles would come up through the drain so, waaalllaaaa, no more undoing it!! Well, upon reflection that does sound rather drastic but, as with most small children I am sure, we had lots of history with drains and toilets. Tweenie Girl once flushed a face washer down the toilet which promptly overflowed!! Tweenie Boy went one better and flushed not one yoghurt container, not two yoghurt containers but................ 7 yoghurt containers down the toilet!!! The next unsuspecting person (which was me) saw 1 container which was promptly fished out  but no...... overflow................ a bent coathanger and a bit more fishing found the remaining 6!!!! Beastie.

So, back to the sock dilemma. I know. I know, I should just let them go to school sockless. BUT, you see, Silver Fox also has socks missing so either it is an inherited disease, this lack of rationale thinking and organisation, or, we really do have a sock monster......................

Ciao for now


just Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love Comments...

Related Posts with Thumbnails