Tuesday 7 September 2010

Nobody Told Me



We had a sea change about 5 years ago. There are things that I didn't know. A-n-d I didn't know what I didn't know. If you know what I mean..... The Silver Fox and I were happily living life when suddenly, a door opened... Should we step through? Should we not? We are a 'why not' sort of couple. So we did. The Silver Fox built our home by the sea. The Silver Fox has had many careers due to our 'go for it' sort of attitude. But. There are things about a sea change that I never knew. I am a city girl but I am not a princess. I can live without Starbucks. I don't need shops galore. I camp. I pee in the bush. I kill 'beasties'. (I love that my son comes screaming for me to get a spider!). Here is what I now know that I didn't know before. Nobody told me:

1. Crabs. They are everywhere. In the pool. In the house. Can you imaging trying to get out a crab with a dustpan and brush? Can you imagine stumbling downstairs to hear the 'scratch scratch' of claws on the wooden floor?  Doesn't fair give you the hebbie jeebies! Never knew that!!

2. Rust. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g rusts. From the salt in the air. Garage doors, microwaves, tvs, drawer handles... The list goes on. Even my ancient sewing machine from my Great Aunty Ena..... rusted. (Note to self: don't buy expensive white goods). Don't open windows near electrical appliances. Don't let dust settle anywhere because it will rust. You see that beautiful set for the bathroom? Soap dispenser, toothbrush holder?...... don't even think about it if it is metal. Save your money. Invest in a nice p-l-a-s-t-i-c set....

3. Sand. Four letter word that. S-a-n-d. Gets e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. Even in places it wasn't before. Sand in the gutters! Sand in the bed. Sand in the food.... There will be sand in your ear. Often. Better get used to it. Go figure!!! Never knew that either...

Ciao for now




just Martha

2 comments:

  1. Hey Martha
    Well I am working my way up to the next post.. but this one first...

    Crabs???? You are putting me off my sea change!! hahaha... Where I just moved to the place seems to attract every bug and any description and it is driving me nuts!! I am a princess!! hahaha.. I can live without big city trappings.. but no camping for me my friend!!! Actuallt I think snakes would be worse.. and there is no big 'He Man' to save me...

    May have to order that sea view without the crabs..

    xxx Julie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the Rust thing was an urban myth designed by beach locals to keep new people from invading their space! But you've definitely debunked that theory.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments...

Related Posts with Thumbnails