Tuesday 14 December 2010

Giving...



What do you teach your family about giving? It is hard isn't it as the world can be a tad too materialistic these days. Well, some of the world anyway. There always seem to be something bigger and better to have. Some Jones' to set the standard. I have to restrain myself from launching into  the 'back in my day' violin piece.....

What did you do about gifts when you were smaller? We saved our pocket money and bought our family presents we thought they would like. Although, apparently my brother did not like the 2 cents metal sharpener I bought him when he was 10!

I like to give from the heart. I like to make pressies that are of use but a little bit different. This year shoebags are a big feature but I have also done them in children's print to place little people's gifts inside.  I still have a big drawstring bag with all the train pieces in and after 10 years we can still find all the pieces when little people come to play.
 
The actual giving of the gift is just as important. I wonder how many people out there receive their gifts in the shop bag, thrust at them with haste? There is an old chinese proverb that states "a little bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses". Hmmm, doesn't sound very Chinese really but the message is spot on about the process of giving being just as important as the gift.

So folks, take pleasure in the small things. Take pleasure in giving and receiving. It is the simple things that count....




Ciao for now


just Martha

2 comments:

  1. I really like this post, Martha. I totally agree. We are trying really hard not to introduce the pixies to the rampant consumerism out there. We don't want to raise children who 'know the price of everything but the value of nothing'. Oh, and do share where you found that top photo - it's divine! J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all your sentiments here. It's becoming quite sickening the level of consumerism out there. Refreshingly blog world seems to see so many returning to a slower pace with cooking, craft and hand-made. My 2 & 4 year old have no concept of money. They are still at the delightful age where it grows on trees!:)

    ReplyDelete

I Love Comments...

Related Posts with Thumbnails